5GCity Hackathon demonstrates, in operational conditions, a distributed cloud and radio platform for municipalities and infrastructure owners acting as 5G neutral hosts. The platform enables to turn a city-infrastructure into a distributed and multi-tenant edge infrastructure by relying on the 5GCity orchestration platform, based on OSM, to manage and orchestrate (NFV + MEC) end-to-end services and creating programmable and on demand network slices.
- Virtual Reality applications for Digital Tourism (e.g. in Museums, Theatres, Monuments Sightseeing)
- Prevent vandalism and graffiti on city monuments
- Participatory and Collaborative Media Journalism
- eHealth for reduced pollution, eco-routing, etc.
OUR TOOLKITS TO USE
- 5GCity Platform and SDK to implement some of the challenges /new use cases
- Unikraft to prepare unikernels for some new use cases
- All participants are required to register themselves in this devpost site
- Teams are expected to be formed spontaneously by participants before the live event in Lucca and specifically by 10th Nov 2019 at 17.00 CET.
Please use the dedicated Google Form
- Teams will be announced on 11th Nov 2019 and will have the possibility to join a webinar on 13th Nov 2019 at 15.00pm CET in which they will be introduced to the technologies offered by 5GCity.
- The live hackathon event will run in Lucca, Italy on 21-22 Nov 2019. Each team will be assigned a mentor who will advise its members during design and implementation. Apart from the mentors, additional experts will be available to provide technical support. After the end of the hackathon, the teams will have to pitch their idea/product and demonstrate their software for evaluation from a jury. Finally, the jury will decide and announce the winning teams.
We have a maximum room capacity for 40 persons, therefore the most promising ideas and teams will be selected up to teh maximum capacity of our spaces.
Looking forward to seeing amazing outcomes with innovative practical solutions that reflect your abilities in Concept, Implementation, Presentation and Business plan!
Day 1 - 21 November 2019
- 09:00 - 09:30 Welcome and teaming-up
- 09:30 - 10:30 Introduction to challenges and grouping into teams
- 10:30 - 18:00 Hackathon session
- 18:00 End of Day 1
Day 2 - 22 November 2019
- 09:00 - 12:00 Hackathon session
- 12:00 - 13:30 Pitches and demos
- 13:30 - 14:30 Jury meeting / Get-together and networking
- 14:30 - 15:00 Awards
- 15:00 End of Hackathon
In both days there will be coffee breaks (on Nov-21 at 11.00 and 16.00, on Nov-22 at 10.30) and lunch breaks (at 13.00)
By applying to this hackathon, Participants formally agree that 5GCity consortium is granted the right to use any photograph/video taken at the event, without the expressed written permission of those included within the photograph/video. The 5GCity Consortium may use the photograph/video in publications or other media material produced, used or contracted by 5GCity including but not limited to: brochures, books, newspapers, magazines, social media marketing, television, websites, etc.
€2,000 in prizes
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
We are looking for creative, interdisciplinary teams of 2-5 members that will be able to design, implement, pitch and demonstrate innovative NFV/5G service solutions based on 5GCity platform.
Minimal knowledge of 5G/NFV architecture and/or a specific Vertical sector application (Media, Health, City Services, Public Safety) as well as pitching/presentation skills are desired profiles of the team members.
Ideally, we would like to have teams just working on 5G, NFV, SDN solutions, from start-ups, SMEs, research institutes or universities.
Participants must be 18+ years. All nationalities, ethnicities and genders are welcome to participate.
Teams will elaborate an idea of 5G Vertical service to design on 5GCity SDK and test in the 5GCity platform deployed in Lucca.
Selected teams are expected to work during the hackathon to demonstrate feasibility at different levels of
- design of their services/apps in our 5GCity Platform via SDK
- porting of their application components into the 5GCity NFV platform
- optionally, porting of the application components into Unikernels via UNIKRAFT
Useful (but not obligatory) competences of your team are:
- Experience with RESTful APIs
- Experience with basics of Unix/Linux (shell scripting), basics of using Unix/Linux tools: GNU screen, curl, ssh
- Experience with NFV orchestrators and monitoring platforms (Prometheus)
You will work on your own personal laptop, and you will be given instructions to connect to the 5GCity platform in Lucca in order to design, deploy and test your Vertical service solution.
Below is a list of tools, technologies and equipment that may be useful:
- GNU screen, curl, ssh
- Google Chrome web browser
#1 - Usage of 5GCity SDK (max points: 30)
Usage extent of the 5GCity SDK and how structured/articulated is the designed service for automatic orchestration.
#2 - Usage of 5GCity Platform, Unikraft and Infrastructure (max points: 20)
Usage extent of the 5GCity Platform Services (Slice Manager, Monitoring), Unikraft and Infrastructure (deploy at core, edge, far-edge)
#3 - Technical Quality (max points: 15)
Technical quality of the demonstrated solution - including design and correctness of operation.
#4 - Business Potential (max points: 20)
The business perspective of the proposed solution.
#5 - Pitch Quality (max points: 15)
Pitch quality and overall impression.